OK so my last substantial post wasn't written very well, as it was late, I was exhausted and venting, and I haven't read enough comedic writing recently to get the timing anywhere close to right. So be it. lol!
James and I went to our second wedding in a month this past weekend. It was beautiful! It greatly contrasted to the one we attended in the San Fran area previously - two very different couples, but both wonderful, beautiful and intelligent, and very much in love.
California comfy The attire was a bit different than expected among guests at both weddings. In California -- well, being an East coaster, I dressed for an evening wedding, being that it was kindof an evening wedding. It was out doors, but there would be cocktails. Where I'm from, that signals for the ladies a semi-formal attire, but many of the Pacific coastal ladies wore California-style soft cotton (or other combed fabric) and semi-casual yet highly comfy flats. I was sparkly.
Burke Black I was actually dressed appropriately to this weekend's wedding - it being in my home territory. Talking with colleagues and friends about wedding attire recently - including a woman from the Pacific coast - we've all agreed on two wedding fashion faux pas: black and white. There are exceptions: when the bride doesn't wear white and it's a summer outdoor wedding, or when it's an evening wedding followed by a classy cocktail hour. But this was an afternoon church wedding -- and I saw at least 4 or 5 women wearing black.
Two were quite notable. I can excuse most of the young women, because social mores are not what they used to be and black is in and they possibly wouldn't have given it a thought. But the older woman in black surely had some companions comment on it behind her back - but she looked like someone at a place in her life where she would say she doesn't care -- really she does, but she's buried it so deep that she has to tell herself she doesn't.
The second was even more notable. It was a coworker of my friend the bride, a beautiful young woman who (from the 2 times I've met her) wants people to think she's uncouth and fast. She was stunning... assuming she was going to have drinks at a hotel downtown (and this wasn't that kind of wedding crowd. That was the other wedding =) She wore a very sexy pitch black short cocktail dress with lace. To make it more "churchy", I guess, she "toned it down" with a GIGANTIC cross pendant that drew attention away from her cleavage. It was like wearing black on Valentine's day, and looked to almost be a direct insult to the bride/sanctity of marriage, except for the innocently HUGE cross she was wearing. She could say she didn't know any better, but I can tell you, I think she did. She works hard to always project one big 'fcuk' you! to the whole world, and everyone notices.
I don't know what I project to the world - I don't think I've settled on a clear message for or from myself. I won't wear a black dress to an afternoon wedding, but I might wear black cotton under it. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment