Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason has been on tbs all weekend, and I've watched it a couple times, in pieces. And I have to say: this movie is way better on the other side -- rather, post-onset-of-serious-relationship.
This movie, like the first, is painful to watch. Bridget is her own personal train wreck, constantly embarassing herself every step of the way. But it's therapeutic too, because we've all humiliated ourselves as she does! And many of us women have similar self-esteem issues, and have tried all the same remedies as she for fixing ourselves. She just doesn't hide it as well, casting her as a character we can all emphasize with.
However, the first time I saw The Edge of Reason in the theatre, I was a bit disappointed, and not very impressed. It was funny in places, and not believable in others. The tempo is off. You laugh, you cringe, you get bored to death for a little while, you shake your head in disappointment, you laugh, you cringe, get bored...
But now that I've been in a long-term, serious, loving and respectful relationship - I watch this movie and I laugh, I cringe, I cringe some more, and then, I melt and giggle whenever she's with Mark, because I can Totally Relate in a way I couldn't before -- especially how much he loves her despite her many perceived imprefections. Like, when he tells her how much he values her "wobbly-bits". Later, I can completely feel their nervous excitement when they're waiting for a pregnancy test result. I really had no concept of such things before. It's fun to watch, not only because it's a funny rom com, but because it reminds me how far my partner and I have come! And I never want to forget, or take any of it for granted.
It helps that Colin Firth is tall with dark curly hair and an air of the intellectual about him.
Not every woman finds their Mark Darcy, but I have definitely found mine. Damn, I will never take him for granted!!!
(Although I have yet to be able to related to the whole lesbian kiss part... lol!)
No comments:
Post a Comment