Wednesday, October 1

Feelin' the Love for Lovettsville



This is truly incredible country. I have seen an experienced so much awesomeness these past few weeks - particularly in the past 5 days. Truly soul nourishing!

For example, this morning I watched deer bounding across a sunlit pasture. They leapt off the cover of a Christmas card, with one young doe reaching as high as 6 feet in the air. Rabbits scampered under the old chicken coop. Squirrels darted across the road with treasures held in their tiny jaws. The morning sun shone brightly, creating a twinkling effect on the golden hay seed heads, wet and heavy with dew. The spiderwebs have come out for October: I captured this web, soaking wet and silvery, while walking two shepards on a trail cut through the pasture. Every shrub was covered with hundreds of tiny webbed enclosures, like cotton balls stretched out over bristles, or clean white wool run through combs. The little webs decked every bush and holly like Halloween ornaments.

Last night after the rains, standing in front of a farmhouse on a hill, I witnessed gorgeous lightning in the clouds to the East, only 10 miles away. Above, the sky was clear and sparkling -- so darkness so crystalline that I could see all the stars and the Milky Way, despite the close proximity of the thunderheads. Yet the rains were so fresh that within minutes, a thick fog rolled in over the hills and the trees and I could only see 15 feet in front of the car during the short drive home.

When I took this foggy photo, all I saw was Sweet Briar. I can't believe I live here!

No comments: