Thursday, October 1

The End of Breastfeeding

Here's an update culled from a message written to a friend. And I quote myself:

On the attempt to breastfeed:
I did end up "weaning" -- more like going cold turkey!! Even after all the pumping and feedings, there was so little to give, that her formula intake only increased 1 to 2 ounces a day more than she was already taking. [...] I still have a teeny bit of milk. 24 hours after we stopped bf [I could provide] less than an ounce - 24 hours after that, production was already practically nil. I never came near engorgement.

All the info I could find talked about weaning toddlers or babies who were actually getting something from the breast, so I ignored the vast majority of it, it just didn't apply. [...] I think I've been somewhat hormonal but not much. I mean, obviously this is a genetic thing from my mom's side. If we have another kid, I should have plenty of milk come in. But I worked So Hard for so little result, it just wasn't worth the stress and the hours gone from my day.


Baby Girl still tries to find the breast sometimes, then she makes this horrible "yuck" face when she finds the bottle. Oh little girl, I wish it were different too! But, such is life. Moving on. =)

No comments: