The story isn't very long. Gigi called me at work to tell me that the little one had a low fever and was uncharacteristically quiet and had even napped at an odd time, hence she was going to call the Advice Nurse. (This kind of call usually is a courtesy call to me to let me know I may have to leave work to drive to the doctor's office in a little bit. But at the time, I doubted I'd have to leave.)
A short while later, Gigi called again. "I'm calling 9-11 now at the Advice Nurses' recommendation, I can't wake her up," was a brief, terrifying message. "Bye."
Stunned, I finished a work-related online task and let it sink in. Why am I still here, on Paypal? I thought to myself. Because I'll forgot where I left off and it'll end up in error. But is that really more important than Baby Girl? Of course not! I gathered my things and stumbled out the door, practically tripping over the words "I have to go! Gigi's calling the paramedics on Baby Girl!" as I spun out the door.
What A Ride Home that was! I whipped out a credit card and took the Greenway. I called the EP, I called my sister, my best friend, and my in-laws. And I totally started FREAKING OUT.
As I thought about Mom's words to me over the phone just minutes before, my breath drew tense and shallow. What if...? Like all mothers, I have an innate fear of losing her early. It'd be just my luck, my evil ego likes to tell me. For a few seconds, I was enveloped in a mental world in which Baby Girl was gone, and it was like the day my father died all over again. I called The EP again, practically sobbing, seeking the calming words I knew he'd provide. With his help, I didn't careen off the road or pull over and give up. (Later I learned, he was freaking out too, but hiding it well.)
The paramedics left before I made it home. I knew they would, EMS teams are nothing if not efficient. The good news was, they didn't take Baby Girl with them! Here's what happened:
- Mom (Gigi) called the advice nurse.
- As she was on the phone with the nurse, Baby Girl was drifting off to sleep and became hard to arouse.
- Finally, Mom could not wake her up. She tried everything. The nurse said to call 9-11 immediately.
- Mom called me.
- She called 9-11.
- Baby Girl's breathing became very fast and shallow.
- The paramedic on the phone with her advised Mom to put Baby Girl on the floor (hard surface) and tilt her head back to help her breathing.
- The baby was limp when Gigi lifted her, but started to move slightly by the time Mom got her to the floor.
- Mom did as the paramedic said to help her breath.
- UP! she popped and ran into the living room!
- Baby Girl was running around contentedly by the time the ambulance arrived. The paramedics checked her out, and after all was said and done, determined that something had definitely happened, even if it had passed. Mom was not hallucinating.
- While they were there, Baby Girl spiked another fever, then it went back down.
- Given all her vital signs were fine, Mom opted not to take her to the ER (a possibly traumatizing experience) and called the Advice Nurse back to make an urgent appt. with the doctor.
- I got home!
It was a particulatly hot day, with air temperatures hovering near 100 degrees and a dangerous air quality. Although we purposefully kept Baby Girl inside in the A/C, children are still greatly affected by such weather. And -- here's the kicker -- she was teething. Baby Girl always gets a fever when she's teething.
The good news is, this type os seizure is not harmful, just scary. There's still a possibility that something else happened, but for now, we'll go with it, and pray that nothing more serious is going on.
1 comment:
Glad she was okay! Scary stuff.
Post a Comment